- - - - -

Hello ... Tap ... Tap ... Tap ... Is This Microphone on?

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#1 Mouth Full Of Spiders

Mouth Full Of Spiders

• 4 posts
  • Interests:Music, Computers, Behavioral Genetics, Psychology, Writing, and the great outdoors.

Posted 08 September 2009 - 08:33 AM

SQQQQUUEEEARRRGGG !!!!! Sorry bout that, too close to the amplifier. ( Isn't that what always happens when you have to make an announcement over a P.A. System?)

Anyways, I hope my attempt at humor made this typically dull type of post, a little less dry thus far. I have been a fan of Pearl Jam since the day I purchased TEN, on it's first day of release. I must have listened to it at least 10 -15 times in a row. I was blown away, to say the least, and even today it still never fails to send shivers down my spine and put a smile on my face. I was a DJ at my local California State University at the time, and I had the opportunity to listen to LOTS of new bands trying to make it in the music biz, via Demos, Promo's, singles - anything to get heard and hopefully get some airplay. I was also (as documented in the movie Hype!) becoming very familiar with a certain record label called Sub Pop, and the musical happenings up north of me in the Seattle area. Some of the bands were pretty good, some were honestly pretty terrible, and I had just about determined that the whole thing was going to be - Well more "Hype!" than any real musical diamond mine, when I first put on my newly purchased Pearl Jam CD. Well You have all shared something similar, but suffice it to say there was magic in that first CD for me. So much so, that I tried to get everyone I knew to come over and listen, to what I was certain was going to become a band that changed the very limits and notions currently accepted and believed about music. Sure, I had heard Nirvana's Bleach CD, Mudhoney's debut, C/Z's Deep Six with Soundgarden, Green River, The Melvins, Skinyard, Malfunkshun, and the U-men, etc. I knew there was some talent and something special happening up north. But none of those bands initial release impacted as deeply and profoundly as did Pearl Jam's. It was simply magic, and I have loved them ever since. I have seen them as often as I was lucky enough to be able to score tickets, over 20 times at least (Peanuts to many of you I know), and every show was great. That is something to really think about. In, lets call it 20 shows, each and EVERY one was memorable and awesome. I think that is an amazing claim. How, easy would it be, considering all of the possible factors involved, for a show to be so-so, or even a let down? The Sound tech guys had trouble all night, a band member was sick, the weather conditions caused the show to end too early, or even the crowd was an issue (Too many drunks, fights, overly zealous security, etc). In 20+ shows I never had anything but a fantastic, memorable time. I can't say that about too many other bands, and there consequently are few bands I have gone to the trouble and effort to see that many times.

To drive this point in a little more, remember when the very first set of live CD's were released? More or less, the ENTIRE tour captured and made available on CD, so you for maybe the first time ever, could get a copy of the show you attended for your very own. ( Pretend for a moment that you never heard of bit torrents and B&P trading, and had no place to go to even meet and contact traders, etc). That was a concept that absolutely blew my mind. I'm old enough to be a Dead-Head, and am, but even the Dead, who more or less began the whole audience recording/ trade only scene to begin with ( Save any disputing that fact for your own enjoyment, you are probably right if you know of others before them ,etc - I am not an Authority on the matter), and even they never tried to make an entire Tour available for purchase. Can you imagine that office meeting? But, I bought the whole damned thing in one large, and a few small, purchase. Friends asked me if I was crazy? Why would you want to hear a band play the same songs over and over for - 97 (25+72) shows all in the same year? You all already know why, or you wouldn't be here yourselves. But here is what I typically said to anyone I actually cared about and knew was genuinely curious:

I just bought, for less than the price of a single ticket, 97 unique concerts, by one of my favorite bands of all time. Each one is different, has it's own vibe and energy, (just like a real concert) and I will be able to relive each of those experiences anytime I want. If, I had the money, time, and capability to have gone to each of these shows myself, I would have done so without question. But since I couldn't for many obvious reasons, this is the next closest thing. Some still don't get it, others start to understand, and those who really know me already understood my passion for listening to, collecting, and sharing live music and recordings of live music. Even the radio station I continued to DJ at, even after I graduated, eventually allowed me to do a "Live Concert" format show -ala King Biscuit Flower Hour- except my slot was a weekly 4 hour show, and I played everything from Flipper to David Grisman - although not usually back to back :angry:

Even though I was not financially able to repeat the "By the entire Tour" tactic, when Pearl Jam decided to make this an ongoing affair, I still try and grab the shows I can and continue to slowly find the new places to access, share, and discover more and more music and meet many new people as the methods of sharing shift as technology advances. It is now possible to DL an entire concert in the time it takes to eat dinner, or que up a set of dates to download overnight. I still remember my very first B+P experience, damn it seems like so long ago and it was - Hehehe. It came with self made artwork, and a nice hand written letter from the sender, welcoming me to the group, and offering advice, encouragement, and an offer to share anything else on her list. It was a warm, wonderful way to begin an adventure that has lasted for over 20+ Years now, and I have never regretted a single minute of the time or effort involved. It is a rare and beautiful combination, where the act of sharing makes you feel as good as the act of receiving, because you know how much happiness the thing being shared will bring to the person receiving it. (Because of how much happiness is brings or has brought, to you).  

I hope you have enjoyed my mini-novel (I'm working on writing briefer posts everywhere I roam). I am interested in any tips and or advice on the latest and greatest hot spots are for finding sharable PJ, EV, etc. Music. In particular, which is how I arrived here, the SV series and this Monkeywrench collection I have been seeing mentioned here and there in the forum. Arriving so late, as I am, many links are down, and I really could use a little guidance on where to begin and so forth. I am fortunate enough to have a rather NICE internet connection, so I do have that going for me. What else - The name MFOS - or Mouth Full Of Spiders - It is my old Radio Station handle (Nickname), and it comes from a line in the Black Crowes Song "Hotel Illness". I've got a head full of sermons, and a mouth full of spiders. I thought it was kind of catchy and memorable, and the abbreviated MFOS is very convenient (Plus it is almost Always available as a choice). I wonder why? Hehehe

Goodnight and I am looking forward to meeting you all.

Peace,

MFOS - Mouth Full Of Spiders

#2 mam1680

mam1680

Actually, I'm a preferred guest. It should be under Dean Mor

• Moderators
  • 18,200 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy sunset beach walks, long drives thru the countryside, and the smell of gasoline in the summertime!!!

Posted 08 September 2009 - 08:40 AM

Posted Image

#3 elrey

elrey

COOL BEANS

• God
  • 7,730 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 08:41 AM

this is Leash's alter ego.  judging by username only

#4 audome25

audome25

Junkie

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 08:51 AM

someone sum that post up in 5 words for me.

#5 mam1680

mam1680

• Moderators
  • 18,200 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy sunset beach walks, long drives thru the countryside, and the smell of gasoline in the summertime!!!

Posted 08 September 2009 - 08:53 AM

View Postaudome25, on September 8, 2009, 9:51 am, said:

I like Pearl Jam... and music.

sorry that was 6 words.

#6 janesays

janesays

Hare Krishna

• Hoarder
  • 2,656 posts
  • Interests:The Food Network

Posted 08 September 2009 - 08:54 AM

View Postaudome25, on September 8, 2009, 5:51 am, said:

He should be on synergy.

#7 erba

erba

Geek

• Prophet
  • 5,996 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 09:01 AM

Too many words. My head hurts from looking at this.

#8 mam1680

mam1680

• Moderators
  • 18,200 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 09:05 AM

Too many noobs lately. WTF

#9 pdalowsky

pdalowsky

Collector

• Members
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 09:07 AM

yep read the first two lines and drifted off.....

maybe a few paragraphs would have helped. or some  pictures

#10 erba

erba

Geek

• Prophet
  • 5,996 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 09:28 AM

View Postmam1680, on September 8, 2009, 10:05 am, said:

Too many noobs lately. WTF

Noobs don't really bother me, we were all noobs at some point. Dumb people bug the shit out of me though.

#11 janesays

janesays

Hare Krishna

• Hoarder
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 09:31 AM

Posted Image

#12 dangerboy

dangerboy

rools more treads since Drunckie sirca 2004...golf

• Museum Curator
  • 3,616 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 09:43 AM

it's going to be a good day at bry, isn't it?

#13 janesays

janesays

Hare Krishna

• Hoarder
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 09:52 AM

View Postdangerboy, on September 8, 2009, 6:43 am, said:

Ask the Magic 8 ball.

#14 dangerboy

dangerboy

rools more treads since Drunckie sirca 2004...golf

• Museum Curator
  • 3,616 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 10:08 AM

View Postjanesays, on September 8, 2009, 10:52 am, said:

View Postdangerboy, on September 8, 2009, 6:43 am, said:

Ask the Magic 8 ball.

Magic Eight Ball

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Question: it's going to be a good day at bry, isn't it?

Attached Files

• Attached File  5.gif   5.97K   9 downloads

#15 rolub

rolub

better have my donuts

• Richard Simmons
  • 19,588 posts
  • Location:the sweet part of the city, the parts with the bars and restaurants
  • Interests:-being quiet on trips
    -clapping along
    -diabetes

Posted 08 September 2009 - 10:14 AM

i just wanted to mention that i read nothing after the opening line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users